Find out if a potential employee has the right to work in the UK and what documents employers should check.
Did you know you could face a civil penalty if you employ an illegal worker and don't carry out the correct right to work checks?
You must therefore check all new employees and treat everyone the same, regardless of their place of birth or nationality.
A right to work check
The check involves asking potential employees to provide evidence of their right to work in the UK.
- Obtain an original identity document from the employee, as listed in the Home Office guidance;
- Check the document’s validity in the presence of the holder;
- Take and retain a clear copy of the document;
- Record the right to work check and the date it was made;
- Carry out any necessary repeat checks.
You can use an online tool available on the GOV.UK website, which guides you through the types of evidence you can accept.